An Ode to the One-Piece

The first official day of summer has dawned on us, and reminded us bluntly that bikini season has in fact, arrived. The sticky hot  30+ degree weather that beat down over Ottawa was a not-so subtle way of telling us to hit the pool, and fast!

I will openly admit, I do not have the 'perfect beach bod'. But really, who does? I'm a firm believer that if you have a body, you can go to the beach. No problem! Though I understand and sympathize that sometimes we might need a little extra courage to make it there.
So before we whimper and wiggle into last year’s bikini, and groan on about how we should have used that gym membership all winter, remember the alternative; The one piece.
One of my favourite swimsuits from Ardene. Sunglasses are Marc by Marc Jacobs (Shop similar).




I’ve always been the one-piece swimsuit’s biggest fan. You don’t have to worry about mixing and matching sizes (we’ve all tried on a bikini with just-right bottoms and a top that’s 3 sizes too big), it tucks everything in place and conceals exactly what you want. Best part? You can actually swim in it without a wayward boob or butt-cheek making an appearance. This is especially nice for when you go to the aqua-fit class with the little old ladies (Just me?).


Just like a bikini, there are many different options to suit every body type and personality. Luckily, I have a few picks to suit a couple of my favourite styles.


Pool Party


Summertime is all about having fun, and who's to say your swimsuit can't be the life of the party? I'm always down for anything novelty, so a bold graphic print and a food-themed floatie? Sign me up.
I'm not big on rocking a full-face of makeup near bodies of water, but the Too Faced Better Than Sex waterproof mascara is something I've been dying to try since they hinted about it on Instagram (If any of you have tried it, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!).


Bathing beauty


Vintage styling has always been one of my preferred aesthetics. Especially when there's a nautical theme on deck. It just seemed fitting that I include these pin-up perfect looks.
Not only are these adorable, they're all incredibly flattering on many body types. I especially like the skirted option, for if I'm feeling a bit more bloated than usual  (I'll blame that on the beachside snack bar).
The sun might leave us a little parched, so it's good to keep a hydrating lip balm in your beach tote. This one from Benefit will even give your pout a little punch of colour!


Cut It Out


Here is definitive proof that one-piece swimsuits can be sexy as hell. For those who wish to show a little (not a lot) of skin, these are killer.
I've been seeing a lot of lace-up tops in stores, so this green suit is perfectly on trend. Speaking of trends, bronzed skin is always in for summer. Why not take to the highlighting phenomenon as well, and get sparkling, shimmering skin with this NARS oil.
Is this what it means to be 'on fleek'? I think so.


What's your favourite beachwear? Go-to beach bag accessories? Share your thoughts with me! And don't forget your sunscreen!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.