Facing Adulthood; My Skincare Routine

I loathe the term 'adulting'. I hate the notion that doing any task that's remotely mature, becomes somehing requires recognition and praise. Guess what, we all have to keep a schedule and make our own phone calls, and buy our own groceries. It's part of being a grown up. So grow up.
Part of being an adult means taking care of your skin. Actually, this isn't specific to adults, but to anyone above the age of 12 (Wait, when does puberty start these days?).

I was a notorious 'sleep with my makeup on' gal for far too long. When I think of the crap I put my face through in my late teens, early twenties, I can't help but feel ill. I can't go back to that lifestyle. Yet somehow I don't think this is what Blink  182 meant when they sang, "I guess this is growing up".

I enjoy having a routine schedule when I go about my day, and this includes taking care of my face.
Bare in mind that skin-care products are like diets; Certain things work for certain people, there isn't one thing that will work for everyone. I have combination skin, which means I have a very oily t-zone, and dry patches everywhere else. I've never had any major issues with acne, aside from the occasional hormonal breakout. I do have some redness throughout, which I'm inclined to believe is mild Rosacea. So I apologize if yours needs aren't met through my preferred products. Though perhaps you'll find something we can both agree on!


Before I do anything, first I take off my makeup. My eyelashes like to hold on to mascara like a child holds their teddy bear. Though most eye-makeup removers are far too strong and feel like they're taking my retinas with my eyeliner. 
Garnier SkinActive Micellar Water, $7.97  CAD at Wal-Mart


I've been using 'cleansing water', or Micellar water to be more specific. It works very well to dissolve any makeup I have on, without burning or leaving a greasy residue. Currently I'm using the Garnier SkinActive Micellar Water, but was using the Bioderma Sebium H2O previously. The Garnier version is more budget-friendly, and provides the same results. I find that they leave my skin feeling clean without drying me out. And they wipe away any trace of makeup, waterproof mascara be damned!
I even like to swipe this all over on days where I go makeup free, and don't feel the need for a deep clean. Just to dissolve any grime that may have found it's way into my pores.


It's incredibly fool-proof to use, with only one button to turn it on and off. It automatically shuts itself off after 30 seconds, so I use it for only one minute a day. 30 seconds in circular motions on my cheeks with the white bristles, and 30 seconds with the angled green tip on my T-zone and chin using up-and-down motions. The vibrations are strong enough that you don't need to apply any extra pressure, but not too strong that it feels like it's ripping your face. I love the gentle exfoliation, it helps to make sure my face feels extra clean and fresh. 
  Clinique Sonic System Purifying Cleansing Brush $89.50 US at Clinque
I do need to replace my brush-head, as it's starting to show some wear. Luckily Clinique offers different replacement options, including a charcoal-infused option. There's even a metal massaging treatment applicator for applying moisturizer, which is now officially on my wish list.


I prefer to use my brush with my favourite everyday face wash, the Philosophy Purity Made Simple 3-in-1 cleanser. It's a great cleanser for those with combo skin because of how balancing it is.

Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser, 3oz size, $14.50 CAD at Sephora
 It leaves me feeling clean without being totally stripped. It's a nice creamy consistency, so that if I missed any makeup beforehand, it washes it away easily. I'm not a huge fan of fragrance when it comes to skincare, but this smells like a delicate little lemon cake that I find irresistible.

Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, $13.57 CAD at Wal-Mart 
Farmacy Rise N' Shine Daily Moisture Lock, $52 CAD for 1.7oz at Sephora
Reversa Corrective Night Cream, $40 CAD at Reversa
My moisturizer routine changes depending on the time of day. In the mornings I typically reach for my Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. I think I originally purchased this to heal a new tattoo at the time, but I found it's light enough to use every day as a gentle facial lotion.
If my skin is feeling especially thirsty, I go for my Farmacy Rise N' Shine Daily Moisture Lock (Which I've talked about here).

In the evenings, I opt for the Reversa Corrective Night Cream. It is a heavier cream, but it sinks into my skin so nicely and makes my face feel so supple by morning. As it's an anti-aging cream, it does have a firming effect, but not in an uncomfortable way. I know I'm only 25 and I don't really need to worry about aging just yet, but I love the way it makes my skin look and feel. I'm not expecting any fountain of youth properties, but if it helps to reverse any signs of getting older
How's that for 'adulting'?!



What products are in your skin-care routine? Do you use a cleansing brush? Tell me in the comments below!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.