Thrift-It Thursday: Beautifully Ugly Sweaters

Everyone has an opinion as to what they consider is 'ugly'. And with the popular demand for 'ugly Christmas sweaters' at thrift stores, I often think “Why just for Christmas? Why not all winter long?”

Let me tell you 'bout my best friend, Riekie. She's always maintained a unique sense of style because she likes to take risks with her wardrobe.
Whenever we go shopping together, she is usually drawn to things most would cast off as 'ugly'; an unusual print, an unexpected colour pairing, an unflattering cut.
I used to question her choices at times (I specifically recall a particular black & cobalt blue eyelash sweater), but I always ended up eating my words. That girl always turns it out.

So I've taken some of her advice; go for the ugly and make it beautiful.


I was recently in need of some sweaters so I went to my favourite Value Village (The one in Gloucester, to be specific) to raid the racks. I found myself ill-prepared for this season after my last closet cleanup, so I wanted something super warm and cozy. I went right for the wool sweaters.

Some might laugh at the cheesy embroidery, or the matronly shapes and think they're more suited for use at their upcoming ugly sweater parties this holiday season. Yet I've learned to find the beauty in them!

The first one I picked up is this caramel & creme mock neck. The pattern reminds me of something a fashion forward skier would have worn to the chalet in the 70s.
Tonally speaking, the colours fit in with the popular colour palette of the season. I love nude shades, because they go with literally everything.



Paired with my dark green skinnies, this makes a great casual holiday look. I can see myself wearing this on Christmas Eve with the right shoes and a bold earring if I want to dress it up a bit more.
Top: Vintage, Bottoms: Joe Fresh, Lipstick: Limecrime Velvetines Matte Liquid Lipstick in 'Squash'


I've especially grown to love the knits that are missing labels; I daydream that they may have been lovingly knit by a silver-haired Nana. Chunky cable knits have a firm hold on my heart, so I fell in love hard & fast with this emerald green cardigan. 



I decided to pair it with this super low-cut v-neck tee from Boohoo, just to give this granny style a bit more sex appeal. Simply because it's unexpected, and a little comical. I also paired it with a full coverage vintage bra (Which happens to transform my girls into torpedo shapes... I had to buy it because it was just too gorgeous and hilarious to pass up).
This whole look is just quirky and comfy and I love every bit of it.
Sweater & Bra: Vintage, Tee: Boohoo, Jeans: Design Lab, Lipstick: Limecrime Unicorn Lipstick in 'Varsity'

The last sweater nearly had me in tears of joy when I found it. It's probably the most unusual thing I've ever found thrifting. The colours are so vibrant and the imagery is . My partner definitely raised an eyebrow at me when I showed it off to him, but he fully understood why it came home with me. It's just too good.


I had half a mind to just toss this on with some dark blue denim, but that seemed a bit too simple. I wanted to add a bit more femininity, so I threw on a little black skater skirt and layered black fishnets over some grey tights (Because baby, it's cold as shit outside).
It may not be Christmas themed, but it's wonderfully ugly. And the tropical fruits remind me of a warmer season to come.


Sweater: Vintage, Skirt: Urban Outfitters, Tights: Winners, Shoes: Old Navy, Lipstick: Kat Von D Studded Kiss in 'Gold Blooded'
I hope you enjoyed these beautifully ugly sweaters! I dare you to take a fashion risk and try something on that you wouldn't normally go for. You just might like how it looks!
What's your favourite 'ugly' piece in your closet? I'd love to hear about it in the comments!

And please tell me if you'd like to see more of my thrifting adventures! I haven't done one of these posts in a while and I really enjoyed writing it for you all.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.