Thissle Skincare Review

Any chance I get to support a local business always brightens my day! I was recently contacted by Thissle Skincare to test out some products in exchange for my honest review.

Everything is handmade in Ottawa, with all natural ingredients which are clearly indicated on the labels. No mystery words, just good, honest organics! The owner, Yumna, let me know how important it is for her to use organic materials when crafting her products after her struggle with eczema:
"I believe it's just as important to give clean food to our skin, as it is to our bodies," amen to that!




It's always a comfort to hear that the owner is passionate about what they do, and you can really sense that she poured her heart into these products. The packaging is simple yet beautiful (I'm a sucker for minimalism, what can I say). The cherry on top was when she hand delivered these to my door, in a thoughtful gift basket. Talk about amazing customer service! Considering Thissle Skincare only began in November 2016, I'm already thoroughly impressed!

I was given 4 different products to try out, and I've been testing them for the past 2 weeks. Here's what I thought!



Sea Salt Scrub - 'Rosemary & Peppermint'

Exfoliation is my BFF, but not all scrubs are made equal. I've had experiences where the consistency is too liquid and I don't enough grit, & others where it's too coarse and it ends up all over the shower floor. This one is just right!

The sea salt is just rough enough that it helps to slough off any dead skin, but not so much that it's painful. The peppermint oil gives a really nice invigorating feeling, as well. It's a very soothing and refreshing scent, which makes me feel like I'm scrubbing away any negativity from my day and I can leave my shower relaxed!
My skin feels not only smooth, but nourished as well. The coconut oil base really sinks into my skin after the salt granules do their job, so I feel moisturized and fresh!

The only major qualm I had with this was that upon the first use, it was difficult to scoop out because it was packed into the jar so tightly. After I dug into it with my nails, it was easy to portion out what I need. Though anyone who pampers their manicure may not be so keen on this; a little spoon of some sort would help!

(I will note that it's best to use this before you shave, not after. If you nick yourself at all, you're literally pouring salt onto your wounds. 'Nuff said!)

Organic Body Butter - 'White Chocolate'

I kid you not, this smells exactly like melted white chocolate.
It's so friggin' amazing, I nearly bit right into it when I unscrewed the lid. My fiancé loved it too, he was practically drooling when I waved it under his nose! He tends to be very picky with scented products, so this was already a good sign.

I am so smitten with this body butter. It sinks in almost immediately to revive my dry, dull skin. I get really bad cracked knuckles this time of year because of the harsh winter weather, and this makes me feel like I have brand new hands. I love slathering this on my legs after a shower (in conjuction with the scrub!), because they feel so soft once I've fully dried off.

I may have to put an order soon for my refill!


Minty Chocolate Organic Lip Balm

I was admittedly a little wary when I saw 'peppermint oil' was one of the ingredients. I've had some rough experiences in the past where I was anticipating a 'plumping' effect, but got swelling and stinging instead.

The sniff test did give me some reassurance that it'd be more chocolate-y than minty, so I dove in. I did have to work at this a bit with my fingertip to warm-up the product so it'd pick up out of the pan. I'd only consider that a minor setback.

Once on the lips it feels more like a lip oil than a balm. It's not waxy or sticky. It really melts into my lips and helps them to feel more hydrated. I did find I had to reapply a few times to keep that moisturised feeling going all day.
As for the peppermint oil, it gave me a refreshing, tingly sensation that wasn't painful at all! I like that the flavour is subtle, and not too sweet. I only wish the tub was a bit bigger, because I can see myself running out of this fairly quickly!

Charcoal Face Mask

This product I was most excited to try, because I've heard so many claims about the benefits of both charcoal and Bentonite clay. I was just feeling the start of a hormonal breakout on my chin when I received this, talk about perfect timing!
While it's recommended to mix this powder solution up with rose water, unfortunately I couldn't actually find that at my local grocery store. So I just stuck with plain ol' tap water.

I'll say upfront that I'm not a huge fan of mixing my own facemask. I much prefer to have it at the ready for me to apply to my face, direct from the jar. I was slightly disappointed when I unscrewed the cap to see loose, dry powder, but I kept an open mind when testing this.
The mask in all it's glory, almost 90% dry. You can see the spot on my cheekbones is still wet here because I laid it on too thick. 
I followed the instructions (2 teaspoons water and 2 teaspoons of the powder), mixed it up to create a paste, and applied it with a brush. I found it very difficult to apply an even layer (it clumped together on my brush), so I ended up applying with my fingers to smooth out certain spots. I had a lot of extra product mixed so to try and salvage it, I spread it over my chest as well.
'Rinsing off'' was not really an option. I had to wipe my face repeatedly with a washcloth to get every last bit off.
After all the mess was gone, I was pleased to see reduced redness, smaller pores and a few hormonal pimples that had been coaxed to the surface. Because the charcoal and clay absorbed any excess oil, my skin felt a little tight afterwards. But that's nothing a little light moisturizer couldn't fix!

As much as I loved these results, the mess it creates puts me in a bit of a sour mood. I feel like it's difficult to get the portions correct, even when following the directions. In the end I was left with too much product which ended up being put to waste.
Though if you don't mind a bit of a mess, this is a great mask for those with particularly oily skin!



To sum things up, I'd say these are products worth picking up! All natural, organic ingredients that work are hard to come by, especially at such reasonable price points. Yumna clearly puts a lot of hard-work and love into what she does, and I hope to see more from Thissle Skincare in the future!

Thissle Skincare products can be purchased through their Facebook page. Be sure to follow them on Instagram as well! Thank you again Yumna for sending these my way!


Disclaimer: All products were provided complimentary for my honest review. All opinions reflected are solely mine, and not of Thissle Skincare.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that scrub! I'm also not a fan of mixing my own face masks.. it never gets to the right consistency and it's so messy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agree, Maddy!

      Delete
  3. Woah a Canadian brand, that's awesome. Curious about the charcoal one as I've always wanted to try one as well but definitely not a fan of mixing my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It's always nice to know there are great products being made in our city!

      Delete
  4. That charcoal face mask is intriguing!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.