Facial Freak-Out?! How To Soothe Your Skin After an Allergic Reaction

09:44:00
I'm learning more and more just how sensitive my skin is. I always heard people say that your skin type can change as you age, but this just feels like a literal slap in the face!

I was using a face mask I had used in the past without any issue (for those wondering, it was the PowerMud Treatment from GlamGlow). Yet suddenly after rinsing I noticed my skin was looking off.
I'm prone to redness and an overall uneven complexion, but this was another story. The entire right side of my cheek was enflamed, and I had tiny bumps along my jawline & chin. I consulted my bestie over Snapchat, to which she concluded that it must be an allergic reaction.
To have this happen a week before my wedding was nothing short of a nightmare.


So what did I do?

First off, I stopped using the mask. I'm thankful it was only a sample size, because that would have cost me a pretty penny otherwise! But once a product causes a reaction of this degree, it's time to part ways.

Next I stripped down my skincare routine so I wouldn't exacerbate the inflammation. Being a beauty blogger, I have a variety of products I  test out, so I didn't have a steady regime at the time.
When you use a bunch of new products at the same time, it can be difficult to tell what products are working and which aren't. It's best to simplify things and use one thing at a time for a few weeks, and then introduce anything else. Slow and steady is the name of the game when it comes to skincare!

I like to use natural products when I can, especially during times like these. Some of my favourite skin saviours are Angels on Bare Skin face & body cleanser from Lush, and good ol' fashioned Cetaphil moisturizer. If I had stubborn mascara, a dab of coconut oil and a cotton pad did the trick!

simple skin care
Lastly, I stopped wearing makeup. More specifically, foundation, concealer, powders and the like. With the exception of my wedding day, I've limited my beauty routine to mascara, brow gel and lip balm (sometimes a lipstick if I felt I wanted a bit more of a pop).
It's counter productive to try and cover up an allergic reaction. You're only working against your skin by clogging things up and slowing the recovery process even more!

It was difficult at first, going barefaced 24/7 when I live my life quite publicly on social media. At the same time, It was humbling to embrace my bare face and accept that I'm beautiful no matter how rosy my cheeks can get, or how many pimples may pop-up from time to time.
Plus with this recent heat wave, it's nice to not worry about anything melting off.

With time, my skin has gone back to normal! I'm still maintaining the simplified routine, but with time I'll ease into using other products again.
So if you have an unfortunate reaction to a skincare product, have no fear! I hope these steps will help you to heal!


I'd love to hear about your favourite soothing skincare saviours! Tell me about them in the comments!

16 comments:

  1. OMG yes, my skin is more sensitive now than it used to be. And I still have breakouts and oily skin, uurgghhh. I agree that it's a good idea to use one thing at a time, otherwise it can be difficult to know which product is the culprit if you have an allergic reaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! There's nothing worse than having a reaction and then having to play 'whodunnit' after.

      Delete
  2. Oh man, 1 week before the wedding! Crazy! So glad you solved the problem. I love that Lush cleanser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! As if wedding stress isn't bad enough already!

      Delete
  3. Glad you were able to solve the problem! I've been embracing a simplified makeup routine most weekends these days, unless I'm doing something specific for the blog. It's so nice to get that time I would have spent applying makeup back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% this! I'm actually considering going all summer long without foundation!

      Delete
  4. Cetaphil is always a safe bet for me when I react to something too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man I'm kind of glad that I didn't end up buying a glam glow mask! I've tried a few here and there (not even the masks) and did find that they irritated my skin a bit. Cetaphil is great! I used it when I got an allergic reaction over half of my face because of tea tree oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I didn't scare you off GlamGlow for good! They still have other masks/products that don't agitate my face (thankfully).

      Delete
  6. Cetaphil is definitely my go-to to soothe my skin. In the summer time I have bad breakouts around my chin and I'm sure it's from the heat but ceraphil usually calms it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear so many of us reach for Cetaphil! It's such a staple for me now.

      Delete
  7. Oh man that sucks. I have been there. I am allergic to hemp and got a sample of some face mask at an event, so the sample size didn't have ingredients. It took all of 3 minutes before I was washing it off. I have hives for days. I am also pretty reactive to mud, Glamglow and I are not friends at all, it burns, not tingles. I am going to book mark this for next time I have a flare up, it isn't fun. I am glad your skin is better though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! That's awful, I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish they gave out little pamphlets with the ingredients on samples, for this exact reason.

      I'm glad this post helped you!!

      Delete
  8. I am going through this right now and one thing that has been helping is jouviance skin cleanser for combination skin. It was a drunk elephant moisturizer that did it. The cleanser helps the bumps a lot and when I found out it was Canadian I was more inclined to keep using it. Thanks for sharing , it reminds me that I am not alone and that there many other women that have the same issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to keep an eye out for that cleanser!
      Sorry to hear you had a reaction, but you are absolutely right; you're not alone! I'm glad to hear this post resonated with you, that means quite a lot.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.