A Scent For Every Style - Kat Von D Beauty Saint & Sinner Perfume Review

I'm sure we're all familiar with the "I have two moods" girly/gothy vibe that is rampant on Instagram. I'll openly admit that when I started this blog, those contrasting stark black and bubblegum pink aesthetics helped inspire the name Doll and Dye; Equal parts feminine and bad-ass.

Now, obviously things have changed up a bit around here, and I'm happy with the direction I've taken. Yet I can't help but be drawn to the idea of 'opposites attract'.
When I received these complimentary samples of the newly relaunched Kat Von D Beauty Saint & Sinner perfumes (courtesy of Influenster), I was pretty damn excited to say the least!

Left - Sinner eau du parfum by Kat Von D Beauty, Right - Saint eau du parfum by Kat Von D Beauty

both available at Sephora in 1.7oz/50mL and 3.04oz/100mL bottles.
Kat designed these based on her own personal duality. If you're familiar with her product line, you'll note the general theme of 'dark and light' throughout. I've always admired Kat for her unapologetic and overall bad-ass approach to beauty, and how she infuses her personality and style into every product.

Wearing- Kat Von D Beauty Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in 'Requiem'
Sequin Dress- Forever 21

Saint is described as a classic floral, with notes of vanilla, musk and jasmine. It is pleasant and lightweight. It smells more fruity than floral to me, and this is likely due to the mandarin and mirabelle plum. The hint of caramel adds a nice sugary sweetness that isn't too overpowering.
It is soft, sweet and super feminine, so it's great for an everyday casual look.

Wearing: Kat Von D Beauty Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in 'Exorcism'.
Black Velour Tanktop-Antistar , Star Print Blouse- Boohoo

Sinner is the literal dark alter-ego of Saint. The black fluid boasts an edgy mix of patchouli, wood and cinnamon. I was slightly wary of how heavy it would be, simply based on its appearance.  I noticed it is essentially Saint with a few more spicy notes added; they're like day and night, essentially.
I love how the cinnamon warms up the jasmine and orange blossom to give a much more sultry effect.
This fragrance is like the icing on the devil's food cake. You can't help but want to throw on a vampy outfit and blood red lipstick after applying this!

The only grievance I have with these samples is that there's no atomizer. You unscrew them and pour out a little bit to apply. I'm a natural born clutz, so I've already spilled some of Saint. I do admire that these are a literal mini of the full-sized bottle, but in all honesty I much prefer a rollerball or mini spray for fragrance samples.

The phrase, "There are two sides to all of us" is emblazoned across the back of each box, and it really drives the idea behind these scent stories. Not only that, but it struck a chord within me as well. 
It serves as a reminder to embrace who you are, and that you don't need to fit in just one 'box' when it comes to style. Something I try to live by every day!

Are you more of a Saint or a Sinner when it comes to fragrance? Leave me a comment and let's talk! Thanks for reading!

Disclaimer: I received these products complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes. All opinions are my own.

10 comments:

  1. Great post Tori.

    I actually got a chance to try these a few days ago at Sephora. They are gorgeous.

    In an odd way, these ego back to CK one and CK Be for me they give the sense of "If you like it, wear it. I don't care about gender stereotypes." It stepped outside of the box in a very different way, but still kept that nonconforming attitude.

    I also like the idea of complimentary marketing. Almost every women's fragrance has a corresponding men's fragrance with similar notes, and in creating that complimentary fragrance, create an avenue to upsell. By extending that idea into two complimenting women's fragrances and releasing them at the same time, it is a bit of (marketing) genius.

    I hope I haven't let my fragrance nerd show too much...

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your fragrance knowledge!! You raise such a good point about gender fluidity with these products, I can't believe that didn't cross my mind. Thanks for your insight, Ash!

      Delete
  2. I love the looks you created for each one. I got them too, but really suck at describing scents. I pretty much have been walking around with one on one wrist that another on the other to compare them. They both are really nice and you describe them so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jill! It was definitely challenging (how do you say something smells nice without repeating it over and over?!) but it was a fun post to write! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. Love the photos you took! My favourite thing to do is to mix and layer the scents. The perfect balance!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do play well together, don't they?!

      Delete
  4. I'm all about those light, florally scents so I think Saint would be my preference. I love how you can wear them on their own or combined! What a great concept.

    Katherine || The Green Bows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, you will LOVE Saint then!
      Kat really knocked it outta the ball park with these.

      Delete
  5. Cute! Your styling was on point for the products too! Love that little touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee! I really enjoyed putting these looks together!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.